Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A new year, a new me, a new blog...

My first blog actually, and I'm a little scared putting my thoughts out there for everyone to read, but here goes.

I have been battling with my weight for as long as I can remember.  As a child I was flabby but actually very fit always involved with competitive netball and swimming.  I stopped playing competitive sports when I was about 15 and then watched my weight balloon.  In my last year of high school I managed to lose 20kg on a plan very similar to Tony Ferguson run through my doctor.   I was excited that I looked good for my school formal (as much as you can with the fashion from the early 90's) but it all starting piling back on, and then some.

Fast forward 4 years, I've now met my husband to be and have put on about 30kg - argh!  As the years went by the kilos keep climbing, which I believe made it difficult to conceive our son.  I managed to lose 18kg again by just eating healthy and going to the gym 5 days a week.  I loved how exercising early in the morning gave me a buzz to get through the day so much easier than I ever had done before.  I soon hit a plateau and no matter what I did I just couldn't get the scales to go down.  Little did I know that there was a reason......I was pregnant.  My obstetrician was very vocal at what impact being overweight would have on both myself and our baby.  I left the first appointment in tears.  I was determined more than ever to have a healthy pregnancy, and I stuck to it.  I didn't develop gestational diabetes or have high blood pressure and while he said I was likely to gain 20kg or more, I managed to only gain 12kg.  Post baby my weight ballooned again to the highest it's ever been. I joined Weight Watchers and went along to meetings with a friend - I lost 16.9kg in 7 months.  I stopped going to the meetings over the Christmas period and never did go back.

Nicholas is almost 3 now and I am so close to being back at my highest weight.  So, it's time to take some action.  I hate meal planning, cooking and counting points so I have decided to start Lite n Easy.  I have a wonderful husband who supports me in everything I do and he will be joining me on this journey.  We have a few friends who are currently on the program and loving it, with some amazing results also.  I can't tell you how excited I am about not having to cook.

I wasn't going to even think of exercise until a few weeks down the track, but after visiting my best friend this morning, who is also my walking buddy we will be starting walking next week when Ian goes back to work.  I would really love to start swimming laps, I just can't get past the thought of being in public in my togs.  It's not a pretty sight.

I have a wonderful support group of family and friends that I can count on for anything, and I'm sure there are going to be times that I will need their boot in the bum to get me back on track.

:-)

1 comment:

  1. I could have written a lot of what you have written here word for word. I hope I can add support also and together find a happier and healthier future xx

    ReplyDelete